On 2007-01-22 22:05-0500 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your continuing release efforts.
>
> No problem. A few questions came up in the process of generating this
> release:
>
> (1) In our Cookbook at the make_tarball.sh stage we mention a /a/
> install/directory created for testing purposes. This did not seem to get
> populated, so I unpacked the tarball to run the tests. Is this a problem with
> the script? Or is the Cookbook wrong?

The cookbook instructions say to

./scripts/make_tarball.sh -c -i /a/install/directory 2>&1 | tee build.log

I am positive I tested this, and all was well.  Also, I have looked at the
script and cannot see anything that would cause the -i option not to work.
(To get some documentation of the script, run

./scripts/make_tarball.sh -h

)

However, screwups occur so please try the script again and send me the exact
command you used, the resulting *.out files (in the script build directory,
/tmp/plplot-dist-prep/build_dir), and most importantly the build.log file.

> (2) Does anyone know of an easy way to force a computer to time sync using
> ntp or equivalent? I've installed the debian ntp package but it doesn't seem
> to be doing anything. I'd like to add this to the Cookbook since it is often
> an issue with my computer.

If you were running a Linux computer all the time, I highly recommend
using ntp which is great for maintaining system time to the nearest 10 ms or
so indefinitely (despite computer hardware clocks trying to get out of synch
by typically 5-10 seconds per day).  However, if you just want to boot into
Debian set the time, do your release, then quit, then ntpdate (which sets
the system time accurately once, but does not maintain it) is probably what
you want to use.

For ntpdate use "man ntpdate".  For ntp the instructions are a little more
complicated.

It has been more than two years since I installed ntp on my Debian stable
system, and it has worked fine ever since.  From what I can remember, you
have to edit /etc/ntp.conf to provide it with some ntp servers to get it to
work.  I used

server pool.ntp.org
server pool.ntp.org
server pool.ntp.org

to access three separate ntp servers from the pool.

After you adjust your /etc/ntp.conf file you must do the following two
commands to stop and start the service so that the new versions of
/etc/ntp.conf will be read.

/etc/init.d/ntp-server stop
/etc/init.d/ntp-server start

If your system clock is badly out (hours or days), it will take ntp an
equivalent time or much longer to adjust it. So you may want to use the
ntpdate command to set your system time accurately before you run
/etc/init.d/ntp-server stop/start combination to maintain the accuracy of
that system time indefinitely.

There is a command you can use to watch what ntp is doing as it adjusts the
clock.  I have forgotten what it is, but it is documented in the extensive
ntp html documentation.  (You can also watch your clock, but it's more fun
to watch paint dry since it generally takes quite a while for ntp to slowly
adjust the time to be accurate to the nearest second, and a bit longer to
get its ultimate accuracy, 10 ms or so.)

BTW, the reason ntp is so slow to make large time adjustments is it wants to
be sure it doesn't disrupt anything time-dependent on the system (such as a
Makefile in the middle of execution).  ntpdate is time-disruptive, but it is
meant to be run by hand when you are pretty sure nothing time-sensitive is
being run on your system.

> (3) How long should we keep links to old versions of PLplot on our main
> webpage? Currently we have Release Notes back to 5.1.0.

I think the latest stable release (5.6.1) and the latest development release
(5.7.2) should be sufficient.  They should be labelled on the web page as
latest stable and latest development.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project