On 2007-02-07 21:34-0500 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Some questions / issues with our current docbook manual:
>
> (1a) Chapter 23 (i.e. how to install). Should we keep this and update
> it? Refer users to the INSTALL file instead? To the wiki?
> (1b) Chapter 4, how to deploy. See questions for 1a.
>
> (2) We seem to be missing a chapter on Java. Any Java experts have
> any interest in providing at least a quick overview?
>
> (3) The Python chapter is, well, terse & probably dated. Any Python
> experts willing to bring this up to date, including (a) a brief
> overview of the bindings and (b) a simple example?
>
> (4) The C language chapter claims to be old & in need of updating.
> Any ideas about what specifically might be wrong? Do we no longer
> recommend FLOAT, INT and PROTO? Do we no longer support non-standard
> C compilers? Notes are needed about PLBOOL & PLUNICODE?
>
> (5) Chapter 10, The plstream C++ interface. This is stable now and
> hasn't changed for a long time? Is there an example to reference that
> demonstrates how to use it?

(6) and the chapter on fortran 95 is essentially copied (with many errors in
detail as a result) from the fortran 77 chapter simply as a placeholder for
now.

With regard to your 1a and 1b questions, I think our docbook documentation
should stand completely on its own as the definitive source of our
documentation.  So once our wiki settles down (and I think we have reached
that point or are pretty close) I think we should copy a lot of that
material to our docbook documentation.

With regard to your further questions, note that for python, perl(?), java,
fortran 95, and C++ we actually deploy an alternative interface where the
redundant dimensions are dropped (for backwards compatibility the C++
interface also has an interface similar to the old C-like interface as
well).  Perhaps the best procedure here is to add a chapter closely
following our existing API chapter, but with the details changed for all the
dropped redundant dimensions.  Then you could add short documentation for
each of the above languages that simply refers to the alternative api
chapter for the details.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to work further on that alternative API
documentation idea until my responsibility for the svn testing and
conversion is done, but hopefully somebody else will have the time to move
forward with that idea in the meanwhile.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project