On 2007-02-23 22:37-0700 Jerry wrote:

> Please consider the attached tarball my contribution of an Ada binding to the
> PLplot project. This code and the other files in the attachment may be
> licensed under the LGPL.
>
> The binding is a very very nearly complete implementation of the public API
> plus a partial implementation of the "C-only" API. It includes Example 1 as a
> demo and an extensive README in HTML form. The only part of the public API
> which needs attention deals with scaling data for things like contour plots.
>
> I'm not quite sure what is customary in stating the legal notices and
> documentation and copyright notices within the code, so perhaps someone can
> provide a pointer or two. Please don't be offended if names don't appear
> correctly in the present offering as it is not my intention to overlook them.
>
> Comments are welcomed.

Thanks, Jerry, for this donation of an Ada interface to PLplot and the
examples.  I need some help from you to get this integrated into PLplot.

I have read PLplot.sh, but I am a little lost since you only give how to
build the example using ada_plplot.adb as the only Ada source.  I believe
this automatically builds the first example and thick and thin interface
libraries as needed, but I need to be able to do that separately and
explicitly, and I also need to know how to install the thick and thin
interface libraries. So the basic questions I would like you to answer are
how do you do the following with the gnatmake command:

* Build the thick and thin interface libraries in the build tree.

* Install those libraries in the install tree (which should involve
relinking to the core PLplot library which will also be installed in the
install tree, but this step should not involve recompilation).

* Build an ada example which links to those libraries in (a) the build tree
and (b) in the install tree.

N.B. just give the cookbook that works for you on Mac OS X for the 6 steps
(2 steps per asterisk) above (please be exact because I am unfamiliar with
the gnatmake command), and I should be able to infer the equivalent
on Linux with its different libplplot and libgcc_s names.  Once I can get
the Linux build and install to work for the interface libraries and example,
then I should be able to automate everything (both for Linux and Mac OS X)
with our CMake build system.

BTW, to integrate the Ada interface and examples into PLplot, I plan to put
the thick and thin interface library source files; plplot.adb, plplot.ads,
plplotthin.adb, and plplotthin.ads; into bindings/ada and the example source
files; ada_plplot.adb, x01.adb x01.ads into examples/ada.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project