On 2007-03-21 22:58+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the segmentation fault was due the fact, that the pstex driver never
> told the plplot core that it can't handle unicode strings, but plplot
> just anticipated that. I fixed the code in cvs and it works for me now
> in Kubuntu.
>
> Should work for you as well.
>
> Thanks for the bug report.

Thanks for your fix, Werner.  Good catch!  "ctest --verbose --tests-regex
pstex" works for me now (on Debian stable).  It appears this device driver
is generally working now.  However, I noticed some obvious scale errors in
my experiments with it (see below) which tweaked my memory of a fix
recommended by Bill Paxton more than two years ago.  When I tried the fix
(now possible because the device is working again), the scale problems
disappeared so I have just now committed Bill's fix.

It appears all this device needs now is some documentation of exactly how to
use its results.  Here is a first attempt at that, but I hope somebody
improves on this and transcribes it to doc/docbook/src/drivers.xml since
I am really short of time.

The results from this device are two files. One is an EPS file (e.g.,
x01c.eps) of the plots without the characters, and the other is a file of a
latex fragment (e.g., x01c.eps_t) which imports that EPS file and uses latex
commands to render the characters in a way that is perfectly aligned with
the EPS file.

You may use the generated files with the following latex code:

****x01c.tex*****
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\input{x01c.eps_t}
\end{document}
****x01c.tex*****

Then you generate a postscript file from this using the commands:

latex x01c.tex
dvips -f <x01c.dvi >x01c.ps

The results look good (aside from an obvious bounding-box problem) and should
be useful for Latex enthusiasts.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project