Arjen asked a good question on plplot-general about incompatibilities
between the various Subversion repository formats.  To follow up on that
here, if you use the file:/// access method rather than the normal https://
method (where an apache module is interfacing), then you do have to worry
about whether your client Subversion software is consistent with the
repository format.  That is, if I use the rsynch method to download our
Subversion repository (which is in the format understood by the SF version
of Subversion), then both my Debian stable Subversion client and Ubuntu
Dapper Subversion client are too old to understand that repository using the
direct file:/// method.  However, if I build the latest stable release
(version 1.4.3) of Subversion (which I built and used for my tests in any
case rather than the dated system versions that I had), then it understands
that format perfectly.  In fact, if I compare the SF repository as
downloaded by rsync before I made any commits, and the repository that I
locally built, they agree almost exactly (except for dates, a one-line uuid
file, the path to svnlook, and the hook script to generate mail on
plplot-cvs whenever a commit is done).  This agreement makes sense because
both repositories were built with the svnadmin load command using the same
two svn dumpfiles.  The only difference between them would be due to a
difference between my local svnadmin software and the SF version, but
apparently the vanilla version-1.4.3 of Subversion (which is what I have) is
close enough to the SourceForge version so the two repositories that were
built agree in detail.

By the way, this good agreement saved me from having to do some final tests
I was planning using detailed comparisons between various checkouts and
generated ChangeLogs of trunk, tags, and branches of the local versus SF SVN
repositories.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project