Hi Andrew:

Welcome back!  :-)

More below.

On 2007-05-25 08:27+0100 Andrew Ross wrote:

> I've (finally) found some time to do some work on plplot again. I've
> noticed for a while that the python bindings were failing ctest on my
> debian and ubuntu systems, but since I don't use python I'd not looked
> further.
>
> Turns out that the problem is with multiple versions of python on the
> same machine. My default python /usr/bin/python is a symlink to
> python2.4, however FindPythonInterp looks for specific versions
> (python2.5  python2.4 ... ) before looking for python. This means that
> it picks up python2.5 as the interpreter. Similarly for the locations
> of the python libraries.
>
> When I come to run ctest the scripts call /usr/bin/python as the
> interpreter, but this is the wrong version and I get a seg fault. Has
> anyone else run into this problem?

No.  But my default python is 2.3 while CMake picks up the 2.4 version
on my Debian sarge system.  It's possible 2.3 and 2.4 are more compatible
than 2.4 and 2.5.

> I can see 3 alternative routes to solve this.
>
> 1) Set all the python related cmake variables by hand (a little
> tedious).
>
> 2) Alter the python scripts so you can substitute in the name of the
> interpreter that was actually used to build plplot.
>
> 3) Alter the cmake modules so you can specify a prefered python
> version which will then propagate through when it comes to looking for
> the interpreter and the libraries.
>
> Only 2) would fix ctest out of the box which is generally a "good
> thing" for new users.
>
> Why am I suddenly interested in python? Well, I've been trying to port
> the debian packages to the new CBS so we can continue to support
> Debian and Ubuntu. This includes the python-plplot package. This
> actually involves building the bindings for multiple versions of
> python, which could potentially be a little tricky with the cmake
> system as-is. Option 3) would probably help. More on the debian
> packages later though.

I have just included PYTHON_EXECUTABLE in our summary, and I included
PYTHON_INSTDIR in our summary a few days ago.  These data should help a
little bit in sorting this issue out.

Whatever PYTHON_EXECUTABLE is chosen, I think we will always want the python
scripts to be compatible with it so I think you should go ahead with (2)
(which, of course, means configuring all our python scripts).

With regard to your last paragraph, all I know is python packaging in Debian
is really tricky.  So be careful to follow their most recent set of python
packaging rules (which change from time to time as they gain more experience
with migrations between python versions).