On 2007-08-14 04:53-0700 Jerry wrote:

> With the help of the Skim list (and one Christiaan Hofman), we might
> have figured out why Skim (the PDF-PS reader) isn't reloading changed
> files. Recall that the initial motivation for automatic reloading was
> use Skim  as a viewer for TeX. Since TeX can write to the file over
> some period of time, they look for %%EOF to determine if the file is
> fully written. PLplot does not terminate a PS file that way.
>
> Here is his comment:
>

>> On Aug 14, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>>> That explains it. We check for %%EOF to find out if the file has been
>>> fully written. Otherwise we have no way to know if a file is complete
>>> (and tex writes incrementally, so loading too earl;y can lead to a
>>> crash).
>>>
>>> Christiaan

Andrew, I have just discovered that -dev psttfc and -dev pscairo put the
%%EOF postscript command at the end of the postscript file and -dev psc does
not.  Could you fix that psc problem, please?
Once you do so, I am virtually positive that Jerry's troubles with
Skim will be over.

Jerry, to answer your previous question about which device you are using,
the only ways you can choose the device is with the command-line -dev option
or interactively from a menu, or with the plsdev command.  So you must be
doing one of those with either the psc, psttfc, or pscairo devices.  The
latter two require extra libraries which you probably don't have so I am
virtually positive you are using the psc device on those grounds alone, and
the lack of %%EOF for that device which I have asked Andrew to fix pretty
much clinches it.