gcc version 4 (which is the first version of gcc to replace g77 with
gfortran) was released on 2007-08-13 for MinGW (see
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435). It's called a
"Technology Preview" which I assume means it is not mature yet.
Nevertheless, for those of you with access to MinGW it might be worthwhile
trying a PLplot build with it since this is the first time gfortran has been
officially available for MinGW.  On my Ubuntu box, gfortran nicely handles
both our f77 and f97 interfaces so it should be the same for MinGW unless
you run into some bug for this tech preview version.

If you do decide to build PLplot for MinGW gcc 4, please check our Ada
interface as well.