On 2007-09-12 21:32-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2007, at 12:29 AM, Hazen Babcock wrote:
>

>> On Sep 11, 2007, at 6:42 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hazen:
>>>
>>> Hazen, could you please compare the attached screenshot with
>>> results for
>>> x28c you get on your own platform? If you confirm these strange
>>> results do
>>> you think this is due to a bug?  If so, the fix may be similar to
>>> the last
>>> shear fixup you did with the cairo device.
>>
>> Yes, these strange results are due to a bug. I hope to be able to fix
>> it in the next few days.
>
> I think this should work now (v7863). However, the first test case in
> example 28, "seven(a)", is perhaps a bit too much of test. It asks
> for text that is drawn parallel to the x axis and also that the text
> itself is parallel to the x axis, this means that its shear angle is
> 90. The aqt driver just ignores such a large shear angle. The xcairo
> driver crashes, at least with my OS-X cairo stack.

I think those bad results indicate there is at least one bug remaining. This
is confirmed by results for your changed example (revision 7864) where
although you avoid that extreme case, there are still problems with the
results.  The "b" series and "seven(a)" look fine, but the rest of the "a"
series does not look the way it should.

The "b" series has the s vector in the YZ plane with constant Z component.
That is sx = 0., sz = 0.2, with varying sy starting at 0.  So you start out
the present "b" series with the vertical axis of the characters alligned
with the Z axis with the rest of the series gradually introducing more and
more Y component until at the end of the series ("eleven(b)') the vertical
axis of the characters is almost aligned perfectly with the pure Y
direction.

The present "a" series has the s vector in the XY plane with constant Y
component. That is sy = 0.2, sz = 0. with increasingly negative sx values
starting at sx = 0. Thus, the vertical axis of each character in the "a"
series should be parallel to the XY plane with the first one ("seven(a)")
aligned with the pure Y direction.  That is exactly what is displayed for
"seven(a)", but for the remaining examples in the "a" series the vertical
axes of the characters are not parallel with the XY plane.  The problem is
even more obvious if you change the example so that the various sx values
are positive rather than negative; all the results do lie parallel with the
XY plane, but the varying sx values are completely ignored so all the "a"
series has the vertical axis of their characters parallel to the pure Y
position with no X component.

In sum, the present example 28c or a modified form of it with all the
negative sx values turned positive for the "a" series shows there is at
least one remaining bug to be fixed in plptex3.