On 2007-10-26 00:27-0400 Jim Dishaw wrote:

> "Alan W. Irwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Hi Jim:
>>
>> I suspect the fix is pretty straightforward, but to make further progress
>> with this on the CMake list, you will need to put together a simple complete
>> CMake example to illustrate the problem. Such an example has already been
>> prepared at http://cmake.org/HTML/Examples.html. All you need to add to it
>> is the complete cmake.out results and make.out results when the CC
>> environment variable points to the Intel C compiler. If you wrap the simple
>> example and the cmake.out and make.out results into a tarball, I will
>> forward it to the CMake list to see what they advise to resolve it.
>>

> I have attached the cmake.out when I use the Microsoft C compiler with
> the example.  It didn't get very far.

Hi Jim:

It's an Intel compiler we currently need such a test for, not a Microsoft
compiler. Later as a separate project you could probably figure out how to
configure the Microsoft compiler for CMake on Cygwin.  Presumably, that
would be useful to you and other people that use CMake on Cygwin, but let's
not get diverted to that separate project now.

Actually the standard C example is a bit complicated with subdirectories, etc.

I suggest you use instead the following really simple CMake compiler test.
The CMakeLists.txt file consists of the following two lines:

PROJECT(test C)
ADD_EXECUTABLE(test_C_executable hello_world.c)

and one hello_world.c file in the same directory which I will let you programme
yourself. :-)

Assuming there is a C Intel compiler
let me know how it goes with such a really simple test using that compiler.

N.B. Also, I suggest you use the --debug-trycompile option for cmake for
these compiler tests.  That keeps all the directories and files around in
the build tree that are used to initially test the compiler.  Keeping those
files helps you to follow up by using the command-line to compile the test
code if the CMake compiler test shows some problem.

Finally, if you prefer a Fortran varient of the really simple test above,
here it is:

PROJECT(test Fortran)
ADD_EXECUTABLE(test_Fortran_executable hello_world.f)

and obviously you would want to test this variant with the ifort compiler.

Also with either/both tests I would keep a separate clean source tree (no
builds in it) for each test and an initially empty separate build tree for
each test.

Good luck!