On 2007-10-29 15:20-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I plan to post to the CMake list asking why rpath is not being set in either
> the build tree or install tree for the Cygwin platform.

Here was the definitive answer from Bill Hoffman:

"There is no such thing as RPATH on windows or cygwin.  Basically on
windows/cygwin you have to have the shared libraries or dll's in the same
directory as the executables. The only RPATH  of sorts on windows is that
"." is in the PATH.  Other than that, users have to put directories with
dll's in the PATH explicitly."

So to do a comprehensive ctest in the build tree you will have to add a
whole slew of different directories (the src directory location in the build
tree as well as bindings/c++, bindings/f77, bindings/f95, etc.) to your
PATH.

OTOH, in the install tree you should remove all the build tree locations
in the PATH and add just one install tree location (e.g., $prefix/lib)
to the PATH.

Hope that explanation helps, and that one of you with access to a Cygwin
platform will put the explanation in the Cygwin part of wiki (along with
your other updated Cygwin comments) so we don't have to guess next time the
question of rpath on Cygwin comes up.