On 2007-10-30 17:46+0900 Hiroyasu Yasuda wrote:

> On 2007/10/30, at 16:42, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> Does anybody else more familiar with Cygwin spot anything?  Can anybody
>> else
>> with access to Cygwin replicate this installed examples build bug for
>> fortran?
>
> Two weeks ago I have began to try installing Plplot on Cygwin. Everybody on
> this mailing list have been really helping me anytime during that time. Thank
> you very much. However, I have no more time to try something.
>
> I usually use Mac OSX and Thanks to PLplot developer team that I can use
> plplot from gfortran very convenient. However I sometime want to build  some
> plplot code for Windows platform, I would like to really know how to build
> with fortran on Windows platform. It is important to only build
> plplot-fortran-cord of binary which can run on Windows. Platform, Cygwin or
> Mingw, is not important for me now.
>

> Best regards,
> Hiroyasu

Hi Hiroyasu.  Your reports have been most helpful in working out several
problems on Cygwin.  Thanks for those and also thanks for being so patient
with us during this long debugging effort.  I feel we are almost there, and
only a little more effort on the part of our developers with access to
Cygwin should hopefully straighten out the remaining fortran problems.  When
we do complete the work, we will let you know via a note to this list, and
hopefully with an improved wiki that gives a nice "cookbook" of exactly what
to do for Cygwin.

> Please anybody tell me the easiest way to install Plplot on some Windows
> platform and how to build plplot-fortran-cord ? If there is like Macports for
> Cygwin or Mingw which can install plplot surely and safely, please let me
> know.

I think you should stick with Cygwin (after we give an improved cookbook for
it in the wiki). I suspect our MinGW/MSYS and bare windows platforms our a
little rough around the edges and probably need a few minor bugfixes similar
to what I just did for Cygwin as well as improvements to the cookbook in the
wiki.

I think it is fair to say the PLplot build and install is much simpler under
Linux and Mac OS X so it is much easier to document than in any of the three
Cygwin, MinGW, or bare windows cases. That lack of documentation has been
your principal problem in the Cygwin case, and I believe it is also a
potential problem for our MinGW and bare windows users until the wiki is
substantially updated.