On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 02:03:25AM -0700, Jerry wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2008, at 4:10 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
> > On 2008-09-01 14:58-0700 Jerry wrote:
> >
> >> Andrew,
> >>
> >> Does the Ada example, with xmin hardcoded to 1_133_395_200.0,
> >> generate the same Postscript as the C example?
> >
> > The current Ada example 29 code has
> >
> > xmin := 1133395200.0;
> >
> > (no underscores),
>
> Sorry--Ada ignores underscores in numeric constants.
>
> > and yes, that hard-coded value gives identical results to
> > the C example which is implemented in UTC to avoid anomalies in
> > daylight
> > savings time that occur for such locales as the UK.
>
>  From this and the proceeding discussion, I gather that the Ada
> example with the Time_Of function, when run in the UK, does not
> generate the same Postscript code as example 29 in C, but when run in
> North America, it does. Is that correct?
>
> Again, could someone check to see if
>
> xmin := Long_Float(Time_Of(2005, 12, 1, 0.0) - Time_Of(1970, 1,  1,
> 0.0));
>
> results in a value for xmin of 1_133_395_200.0 when run in the UK, as
> it does in North America? According to my reading of the Ada
> Reference Manual, it should.

Jerry,

Coming back to your original question. In the UK I get
1.13339880000000E+09 for the result of the above calculation.

If I do export TZ="UTC" before running the example then I get the
correct answer of 1.13339520000000E+09. Looks like gnat Time_Of is
just calling the C library mktime function so is in local time
(including any daylight savings).

Andrew