On 2009-01-14 13:36-0500 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Hi Werner,
>
> Can you test it with "standard" X11 and pthread=on OS-X 10.5? If that
> works should we only allow pthread=on on OS-X 10.5+?

I know nothing about the Mac situation other than what I read, but according
to http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

"The Xquartz project is an open-source effort to develop a version of the
X.org X Window System that runs on Mac OS X. Together with supporting
libraries and applications, it forms the X11.app that Apple has shipped with
OS X since version 10.5."

That sounds to me like Xquartz is the X11 that Apple ships with newer
versions.  Or is the above claim on the Xquartz site too strong (or being
interpreted too strongly by me)?

> If it isn't going to work for most people on OS-X then I think we should
> probably set pthread=off by default.

If it turns out that (a) Xquartz is not the standard version of X for the
latest Apple, and (b) the standard version of X on the latest Apple has the
problem you found, then yes, you should turn off threading by default for
Mac (but, of course, leave it on for other platforms such as Linux).