If I recall correctly, running the exact directions buried in x24c.c used to
work fine for -dev png (and other plfreetype-related devices)
but that no longer seems to be the case.

(TTFDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype ;
PLPLOT_FREETYPE_SANS_FONT=$TTFDIR/arphic/bkai00mp.ttf
PLPLOT_FREETYPE_SERIF_FONT=$TTFDIR/freefont/FreeSerif.ttf
PLPLOT_FREETYPE_MONO_FONT=$TTFDIR/ttf-devanagari-fonts/lohit_hi.ttf
PLPLOT_FREETYPE_SCRIPT_FONT=$TTFDIR/unfonts/UnBatang.ttf
PLPLOT_FREETYPE_SYMBOL_FONT=$TTFDIR/ttf-bengali-fonts/JamrulNormal.ttf
c/x24c -dev png -o test.png)

produces illegible results on my Debian testing system with the suggested
ttf-unfonts-core, ttf-arphic-bkai00mp, ttf-devanagari-fonts, and
ttf-bengali-fonts Debian font packages installed. OTOH, if you specify
-drvopt smooth=0, then the results are acceptable (the glyphs
are slightly ragged due to the lack of smoothing compared to the
corresponding pngcairo result, but they are perfectly legible).

The strange thing is the bad smoothed unicode issue for plfreetype related
devices (I also checked wxwidgets which acts similarly) only occurs for
example 24.  The default smooth=1 looks good for examples 23 and 26 (which
also use unicode).

Does anybody have a clue what plfreetype change might have caused this
issue?  I don't think we should delay the release for this plfreetype issue,
but if anybody has a quick fix, that would be great.