> Hi Arjen:
>
> The current set of shell scripts for testing have had constant maintenance
> and improvement as long as I can remember.  So I think taking a windows
> batch file approach to do the same thing would create a substantial
> maintenance issue that we should avoid if at all possible.
>
> So I suggest you try using win-bash instead. As far as I know (but I hope
> Werner comments further), that is completely supported by our build
> system.
> For example, that build system searches for bash in the following way (in
> plplot.cmake):

> Note that all ctest does is run plplot-test.sh with various options (if
> you
> exclude the comparison test as above).  That (and a run of test_diff.sh at
> the end) is exactly what happens at a fundamental level in the install
> tree
> as well.  That means once you have ctest working for Windows, then the
> potential exists to get the install-tree tests to work as well on Windows.
> Of course, in the install tree you would have to find some windows
> equivalent of the Makefile that organizes all those plplot-test.sh runs
> with
> various options, but that is a much smaller maintenance issue then
> duplicating the detailed functionality of plplot-test.sh.

Well, that does sound as a reasonable and little-work solution.
As CMake warns about not being able to find bash and therefore ctest
won't work, I thought that using MinGW might get me around this problem.
But undoubtedly that introduces new ones and it changes the platform
in subtle ways. I will have a look at win-bash.

Regards,

Arjen