Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Since moving from the fast computer to this X-terminal system I have noticed
> no difference in speed except for the -dev xcairo case for example 17.  For
> that case, xcairo generates a ton of LAN traffic (which I track with the
> KDE4 system monitor) which essentially freezes my whole X-terminal so it is
> difficult to even change from one window to another.  I then tried the same
> example on the fast computer, and for that case -dev xcairo was abnormally
> slow (I have remarked on that before) compared to the rest of the
> interactive devices such as -dev xwin, -dev qtwidget, -dev wxwidgets, etc.
> All those other devices eventually transform plplot commands to reasonably
> efficient Xorg commands.  However, for -dev xcairo, the transformation is to
> grossly inefficient Xorg commands so that Xorg grabs all the CPU time when X
> clients are run locally and grabs all the LAN bandwidth for the X-terminal
> case where X clients are run remotely.  This is not an overall issue with
> every cairo device since pscairo has normal speed for example 17.
>
> So the issue must be something special about the way xcairo implements the
> special interactive needs of example 17 that is done extremely inefficiently
> compared to all other interactive devices and also inefficiently compared to
> -dev pscairo.

My guess is that this is due to this example heavily exercising the
PLESC_FLUSH pathway. In the case of the xcairo device I think that each
PLESC_FLUSH causes a complete redraw of the plot window from an off
screen image, which is probably located on your server computer. In the
case of the pscairo device PLESC_FLUSH is ignored (since there is
nothing to see anyway). Could you comment out the call to the
blit_to_x() in PLESC_FLUSH in plD_esc_xcairo and see if this improves
the speed? You won't see anything until the plot finishes, but hopefully
it will get to the end a lot faster.

If this is the problem then I'm not sure what the next step is. As I
understand it, Hez added the off screen image rendering to improve the
response of this device in some other redraw situations.

-Hazen