On 2010-02-26 09:27-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

All good ideas are copied.  From a google search for svn bisect, it appears
there is now a perl svn-bisect script to do svn bisect plus an "official"
svn-bisect script in the works.

I plan to try the perl script for now to see how fast I can come up
with the answer for which revision caused this regression.

It was something of a struggle to install the App::SVN::Bisect perl module
because of dependencies.  I have attached my (extremely Debian-specific)
notes on how to deal with those dependency issues. These notes should be
useful for those here running Debian or a Debian derivative such as Ubuntu.

The next steps are

(1) Update my local svn repository for PLplot.  Normally I update that every
few months as a sometimes backup of the SF repo while Maurice does that on a
daily basis as part of an automatic backup script he is running.  In this
case I will be using the local repository to greatly improve speed as the
bisect updates to a variety of different revisions.

(2) Write a script to do the steps mentioned in the previous e-mail to
demonstrate the error.  This is straightforward, but it needs to be
done for every error where either git-bisect or svn-bisect is to be used
to find the revision that corresponds to introducing the regression.

(3) Check out PLplot from the local repository, set up the svn-bisect range
with

svn-bisect --min good-revision --max bad-revision start

then run

svn-bisect run testscript.sh

to find the bad revision, and

svn-bisect reset

to restore the local version back to normal.

This all seems straightforward, but we will see!

Directions for building svn-bisect quoted below come from
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=481858.  These directions
should be straightforward to generalize for any perl module.

********
building a App::SVN::Bisect package is quite easy using dh-make-perl
(from the dh-make-perl package).

Just run
    dh-make-perl --cpan App::SVN::Bisect
and change to the newly created folder App-SVN-Bisect-0.4

Now edit the debian/control file (created by dh-make-perl) and add the
following to Build-Depends-Indep:
    libio-all-perl, libyaml-perl, subversion
and to Depends:
    subversion

Now you can build the package with debuild.
********

Additional comments: above did not work because of large number of missing
dependencies.  It was so bad, that I had to copy downloaded tarball, unpack
it by hand, then run

dh-make-perl App-SVN-Bisect-1.0

which informed me a number of Debian packages were missing which I installed.

**Also Test::Output was missing.

dh-make-perl --cpan Test::Output

then informed me that

Needed libsub-exporter-perl libtest-tester-perl packages which I installed.

Then

dh-make-perl --cpan Test::Output --build >& build.out

+ (as root)

dpkg --install libtest-output-perl_0.16-1_all.deb

worked fine.  Subsequently

dh-make-perl App-SVN-Bisect-1.0 --depends libtest-output-perl --build >&
build.out

+ (as root)

dpkg --install libapp-svn-bisect-perl_1.0-1_all.deb

worked fine.

As did

man svn-bisect

Now, just have to learn how to use that command.