The "p" octave examples were designed many years ago by Joao Cardoso (since
retired from PLplot).  At that time, -dev xwin worked for most/all of those
"p" examples and gave some nice-looking interactive effects.  (Joao had an
extraordinary artistic ability to make good-looking examples.)
However, -dev psc did not react well to some of those interactive effects so
in our non-interactive tests that use -dev psc we have automatically dropped
many of those "p" examples from consideration.

I have recently implemented test_octave_$device targets for all our
interactive devices in an attempt to test _all_ the "p" octave examples for
our interactive devices.  It uses the configured script plplot-test.sh(.in)
with option --interactive_octave to make a call to the configured script
test_octave_interactive.sh(.in).  It's that latter script that must be
modified if you want to change the list of "p" examples that are tested by
test_octave_qtwidget.  (I temporarily dropped some of those examples from
consideration because of various issues that I commented in
test_octave_interactive.sh(.in).

I mention that interactive test target specificially because -dev qtwidget
currently is the best of all our interactive devices at interacting with
octave. For example, some kind of bit rot has set in and test_octave_xwin
and test_octave_tk (which exercise -dev xwin and -dev tk for these
interactive octave tests) both error out immediately.  That is a shame
because I remember that it used to work (reasonably) well (at least for -dev
xwin, but I am sure I tried -dev tk back then as well). test_octave_xcairo
is painfully slow (this interactive issue for -dev xcairo has been reported
independently as bug 2960406) on my platform so I didn't have the patience
to try the test_octave_xcairo target. test_octave_wxwidgets works fine on
individual examples, but currently there is some incompatibility between how
the p examples are exited and reentered in octave and -dev wxwidgets so for
any list of examples that has more than one example, test_octave_wxwidgets
always segfaults on the second example tried.

I have reported these general device driver/octave issues as well as a
number of individual issues for individual "p" examples that have been
turned up by this new test on our bugtracker (bug 2964497).  I have assigned
this bug to Andrew because he is our octave go-to guy, but I encourage
anyone else here with an interest in octave (or the xcairo, xwin, and
wxwidgets devices) to also tackle this list of issues.

The first goal should be to extend the range of "p" examples working for
qt_widget.  There is some low-hanging fruit there where the plot GUI comes
up, goes through its interesting interactivity, but then hangs on exit
(presumably because the "p" example in question doesn't exit properly). Once
p1 through p21 are working for qtwidget, then it would be good to get xwin
working properly with these octave examples again and then the remainder of
our interactive devices.  Also, I am sure as more interactive devices are
made to work with these examples some design decisions that Joao made (sizes
of legends, for example) to tune the examples to work with -dev xwin will
have to be reviewed to give a polished look for our other interactive
devices.  Ultimately, we may decide to reinstate the full list of "p"
examples that are exercised in the standard noninteractive test as well.