On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Alan W. Irwin
<ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-09-28 08:24-0400 Hezekiah M. Carty wrote:
>
>> Or, as I'm starting to suspect, if provided, would each entry draw a
>> single block of a given color + pattern?  If this is the case then I
>> think keeping this in pllegend seems reasonable.  It would be nice to
>> have these options used in an example.
>
> Yes a single discrete color block (of variable vertical size so the
> blocks can be separate or just touch or even overlap) per legend
> entry.  So I think this API encompasses what you already do with your
> discrete color bar, but definitely not what you do with your
> continuous color bar.  Separating out this discrete color block API
> into a separate function makes little sense to me because many of the
> calculations and a lot of the functionality are common with the lines
> and/or symbols functionality.  In sum, the way I think of this is that
> pllegend is our discrete legend API, while plcolorbar will be our
> continuous legend API.

This actually provides a different kind of functionality than what the
OCaml colorbar support provides, so I'm glad you added it!  The
"discrete" characteristic I was referring to is meant as the
difference between, for example, plimage (continuous color scale) and
plshade (discrete color intervals).

>> While I agree with this, I do think it is worth leaving the pllegend
>> API flexible through the post-5.9.7 development cycle.  I like the API
>> overall, but given how high-level this function is compared to most of
>> PLplot's C API I think extra time to try out pllegend before
>> committing to the current API would be useful.
>>
>> I will try to get the OCaml pllegend binding working before the 5.9.7
>> release for testing.  I would rather have to change the binding than
>> realize a month later that we are missing some key functionality (like
>> the missing rotation support in plarc!).
>
> Good point.  So I suggest (to answer Arjen's question as well) we
> postpone pllegend propagation to other languages or examples until
> after the 5.9.7 release except possibly to OCaml and/or octave to
> compare with existing legend capabilities for those two languages.
> Ideally, (once I answer your further posted questions about API
> specifics) we will have finalized the pllegend API before 5.9.7, but
> if we have to make changes later after some further experience, I am
> open to that as well so long as that is accompanied by the appropriate
> SOVERSION bump to libplplotd to force users to recompile and also an
> API change warning in the release notes.
>
> By the way, I think that is the approach we should take with further
> plarc rotation changes as well after 5.9.7 is released.  After all, a
> plarc API change won't affect that many users since it is relatively
> new functionality.  The only real difference with some hypothetical
> pllegend API change post 5.9.7 is in the former case there is extra
> work to do because we would have to tweak all plarc functionality in
> languages and examples, but in the latter case we are holding back on
> doing language propagation (see above remarks) to avoid that work if
> there is an additional API change for pllegend.
>
> I hasten to add I don't think any plarc rotation API change should be
> done _before_ the 5.9.7 release because we are too close to that
> release to insure there are no screwups in the required dependent
> propagation changes.

I agree.  I'll try to get pllegend wrapped for OCaml before the 5.9.7
release, and I will wait on any plarc alterations until after the
release.

Hez