> On Mar 2, 2015, at 4:55 AM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-03-02 02:01-0500 Jim Dishaw wrote:
>>
>> Attached is a patch for testing, I don't recommend pushing it to
> master yet.  It comes very close to rendering a metafile "identically"
> (modulo rounding differences).  The main problem is that plot symbols
> are missing.  I should be able to fix that on Monday.
>
> Hi Jim:
>
> I have argued in my just previous post that no special processing of
> unicode or alt_unicode should be necessary at all by plmeta or
> plrender/plbuf code since the PLplot core library code and individual
> device code know how to do that special processing already.
>
> To make that argument more concrete, explore what happens if you test
> that hypothesis by setting pls->dev_unicode = 0 in plmeta.c for the
> NEW_METAFILE case. In that case the core stores a pointer to the raw
> (i.e. completely untransformed) input char array in args->string and
> the new plmeta code outputs that null-terminated char array to the
> plmeta file.  That is the correct thing to do in all cases if you
> agree with my further assumption below.
>
> For the above to work those raw char arrays also must receive no
> special plrender or plbuf processing.  Instead, they should just be
> sent off to the plcore using a plP_text call which then should
> initiate normal text processing for whichever device has been
> specified by the user using the -dev option for plrender.  So I assume
> such a plP_text should be possible based on the data stored in the
> plmeta file.  If you agree with that assumption, then it follows this
> method should drastically simplify text handling for plmeta and
> plrender modes (since in the plmeta case you can drop all unicode and
> alt_unicode code and similarly for plrender/plbuf, and I hope you
> would be willing to modify your patch accordingly.

Fortunately what you describe is almost how things are implemented. I can't
rely on null terminated strings because if real Unicode strings are passed,
they can can contain null bytes. That will require the use of string lengths to
make metafiles agnostic.

>> I was having problems with the xcairo driver after resizing the plot
> window.  Is anyone else having that problem?
>
> No problems here except for the long-standing one that resizing the
> xcairo GUI leaves the actual plot the same size with either a larger
> background (if the resize is to larger sizes) or clipped region of the
> original plot (if the resize is to smaller sizes). So resizing
> basically sucks with xcairo, but I assume it will be fine if we can
> move that xcairo resizing code to a plbuf-based approach.

I will take a look at xcairo and see if I can fix it.  It is a good test case
for the work I'm doing with the metafiles.