On 2015-05-13 15:18-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2015-05-13 17:01-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:
>
>> On 05/13/2015 03:58 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>> In my case the only fortran compiler available is gfortran so I don't
>>> need to choose that.  So instead of the above I set
>>>
>>> export FFLAGS='-g -ffpe-trap=invalid,zero,overflow,underflow'
>>>
>>> before calling cmake and building the x29f95 and ps targets.
>>>
>>> After that, I got the following result
>>>
>>> software@raven> examples/f95/x29f -dev psc -o test.psc
>>>
>>> Program received signal SIGFPE: Floating-point exception - erroneous
>>> arithmetic operation.
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> So I confirm there is a floating-point issue for that example, and
>>> this should be easy for anyone else here to confirm that has access to
>>> gfortran.  However, I am completely tied up with other PLplot issues
>>> so I would appreciate it if you pursued and fixed all floating-point
>>> issues revealed by this method.  But if you are too busy to do that
>>> yourself, please let this list know so others with more time will be
>>> motivated to take a crack at it.
>>
>> The problem seems to come from line 267 in this example. It looks like the
>> "sec" argument is not getting passed to the C library correctly? 0.0 becomes
>> something like 4.2439915819305446e-314, which I think causes the later
>> problems. Perhaps there is something wrong with the fortran bindings for
>> plctime? I would appreciate it if a fortran expert could take a look.
>
> I will take a look at that immediately.  And to keep the record
> straight even with my notcrossed change, I do currently see fpe
> problems for example 29 even though before I mentioned only 21 and 33
> as the remaining issues.

Hi Hazen:

It turned out to be a fortran argument issue in Fortran example 29, where 0.
had to be
replaced by 0._plflt (see commit id=a0e51cd).

@Arjen:
This issue illustrates how tricky it is to use our current fortran
bindings and should be a big motivation for you to finish up your
rewrite of those bindings so our Fortran user's don't have to worry about
using the _plflt suffix on all floating-point arguments.

@Hazen: Solving this plctime argument issue solved the floating point
exception (as you suggested it would) for fortran example 29 so I
think the only floating-point issues currently left are for examples
21 and 33.