> On Jun 11, 2015, at 12:29 AM, Jim Dishaw <j...@dishaw.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 10, 2015, at 11:30 PM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>
>> wrote:
 <snip>
>> Just to confirm that I just now played a lot with resizing of
>>
>> examples/c/x01c -dev xwin
>>
>> for 5.10.0, 5.11.0, and git master tip (including your recent commit),
>> and I found no specific string issues for any of those cases.  So it
>> appears hard (at least with this example) to demonstrate a rendering
>> bug due to this issue that you just fixed, but your fix seems logical
>> to me (now) and certainly does not introduce any bad string rendering
>> that I can spot.
>>
>> However, when doing those checks I did notice other resizing issues
>> that do need to be addressed.
>>
>> 1. As a resize is occurring (typically by dragging one edge or one
>> corner of the GUI to make the whole thing smaller or larger) sometimes
>> the displayed GUI is a scaled plot and sometimes it is black (which is
>> OK).  But on some occasions when I stop resizing (by releasing the
>> mouse button) the result remains black for 5.11.0 and the master tip
>> version (which is not OK).  But 5.10.0 is fine in this regard. So this
>> issue is a regression introduced into PLplot between 5.10.0 and 5.11.0
>> and probably due to the flurry of changes you and Phil made in plbuf
>> before we released 5.11.0.
>

>> Please verify the good result for 5.10.0 and bad result for 5.11.0,
>> git bisect to figure out what commit has caused the issue, and then
>> make the appropriate plbuf fix to get rid of this regression.
>>

> I think this problem is the plP_eop() that was inserted in the plRemakePlot()
> to make sure the BOP would perform as expected.  For the GUI drivers this
> will trigger another wait for input, which ends up blocking redraw messages.
> I will verify by using git bisect.

I ran git bisect and the regression was introduced in the commit
1e402417c1f3e87c391fe428f936153c2a10e8cc

Author: Phil Rosenberg <p.d.rosenb...@gmail.com>
Date:   Fri Feb 27 17:12:03 2015 +0000

    Fixed bug in rdbuf_di.

    Save cursubpage on replot
    call plP_eop() on replot which ensures that the first plP_bop() call
actually does something.

If I comment out the plP_eop() that was added to plbuf.c in that commit, the
xwin driver does not exhibit the problematic behavior.  I will investigate
further on working on a patch.  I know why it is causing a problem, but it
isn’t obvious to me how it gets to that point.