The PS driver has support for unicode, though it relies on the fonts installed
in the postscript device that is rendering the file.  There is no reliable
method for plplot to know which fonts are available to the postscript device.
When the PLplot ps driver was converted to unicode, I think the default use of
Hershey fonts for symbols was ended.

The behavior of postscript files can be unexpected under Windows.  Depending on
whether you are viewing (third-party viewer or Windows provided) or printing
the files, there could be differences in the output due to available fonts.

There is an option that will enable Hershey symbols in the PS driver, so you
can set that if you do not have the fonts available.