Hi Alan,

Oh, I was not even thinking about these - I just saw the dependency and found
it curious - it reminded me of Cygwin's DLLs. But the security issue is
definitely an issue and more important than avoiding a single dependency
somewhere.

> Therefore, I feel the proper way to deal with the inherent security issues
> for binary
> distribution is to let official distributions of free software handle that
> headache.  So I
> am pleased that Orion is packaging PLplot for Fedora, Andrew is doing the same
> thing on Debian (and indirectly on Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu).
> Similarly,
> there are PLplot packaging efforts on most other Linux distributions, the
> principal
> Mac OS X distributions Fink, MacPorts, and Homebrew, and also the principal
> *BSD variants, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD.
>
> In contrast to that situation, my understanding is that both the Cygwin and
> MinGW-
> w64/MSYS2 platforms do not currently distribute PLplot.  To fix those
> important
> issues we need someone with access to those two platforms to become a packager
> for each of them.  Would you be willing to take on those two additional
> important
> roles?  I think that would be a time-consuming effort to start for you, but
> after that
> required initial burst of activity, I don't think it would take a major
> effort to maintain
> the Cygwin and MinGW-w64/MSYS2 packages for PLplot going forward.
>
> If it turns out you are interested in becoming the PLplot packager for
> either/both
> those distributions, I think the next steps would be to query the Cygwin and
> MSYS2
> mailing lists to find out exact details of how to become a packager of PLplot
> for
> those two distributions.

Getting PLplot into the collections of packages managed by Cygwin and MSYS2
definitely seems worthwhile and would solve a problem that we have discussed
every so often over the years. I have no idea though what amount of time is to
be invested and what kind of work it involves. I can find out though - I happen
to know a contributor ;).

Regards,

Arjen

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.