On 2016-03-24 10:22-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>

> That certainly did the trick. See the attached list of packages after running
> "pacman -Sy"

Excellent news, and thanks for that list.

If you look for "installed" in that list, you will find that (as you
said before) you are out of date on quite a few of the packages
including cmake.  Which simply verifies MinGW-w64/MSYS2 is a rolling
release much like Cygwin and Debian testing in this regard where some
new versions of a relatively small subset of the packages tend to be
available every day.

Anyhow, your next actions on this platform should be to do the
following:

1. Update your package list (in case there are a few more changes
since you did that earlier today) and also upgrade your whole
MinGW-w64/MSYS2 system using the "pacman -Syu" command (taken as an
example right out of the pacman man page).

2. Assuming 1. works, then run Fortran-only comprehensive testing.

3. Assuming 2. works, install all PLplot-relevant packages for the platform.

4. Assuming 3. works, do a minimally constrained comprehensive test with
some iteration with 3 depending on what complaints about missing
packages you get from cmake.out.

The next question is how often should you do a system upgrade? When I used to
run
Debian testing, I got quite neurotic about keeping absolutely up to
date so I typically ran "apt-get dist-upgrade" daily for a couple of
years often with 10-30 or more packages being upgraded each day. There
were something like 2000 packages installed in total.  On two
different occasions a packaging issue for the lastest version of one
of those ~2000 packages caused a problem that I had to temporarily
work around until the Debian package maintainer fixed their packaging
bug. But except for those two occasions the Debian packaging was
meticulous which demonstrates the amazing capabilities of the
ego-driven Debian packaging volunteers.  However, through lack of
experience I cannot give you similar assurances about the care that is
taken by by those who do Cygwin and MinGW-w64/MSYS2 packaging so you
will likely want to upgrade on a much longer interval than once per
day.  At the same time I wouldn't let it slide too long so you might
want to try upgrading your platform once every month or so including
capturing all pacman output to a file so you keep a clear record
of everything pacman has done.

Debian jessie is also something of a rolling release, but without the
extreme flux of packaging changes you get with Debian testing.  So
to keep meticulous records of what is done by apt-get I
currently run

cd <directory where I am keeping logs of apt-get output>
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade |& tee -a <unique_file_name>

once per month or so, where unique_file_name is the day's date in iso
format, e.g., 20160324.  In bash, the |& pipeline symbol concatanates
stdout and stderr into the pipeline.  Also, the unix tee -a command
appends the results to the named file and also allows them to be
displayed on your terminal which is a very convenient way of keeping
an exact record while also watching what is happening and answering
any questions that the dist-upgrade wants me to answer.

If you do something similar yourself with "pacman -Syu" every month or
so you should follow that up by a minimally constrained comprehensive
test of PLplot to make sure everything is OK both with all components
of PLplot and your MinGW-w64/MSYS2 platform.  And similarly with
Cygwin.