Going in a completely different direction from travis-ci.. I've been experimenting with Docker:

https://docs.docker.com/

Quoting the web-site "Docker provides a way to run applications securely isolated in a container, packaged with all its dependencies and libraries".

What this means for us is that we can test just about any linux distro with just about any set of libraries. For example, the attached will test the current SF PLplot with a very limited number of dependencies on the debian-latest distro. More interestingly, we can create images that have all the dependencies and PLplot loaded. Then for updated test results all that we'd have to do is pull the most recent version of PLplot, cmake, make and ctest.

So, thoughts about what 5 or so linux distros we want to be sure that PLplot works on?

-Hazen
# Distro
FROM debian:latest
MAINTAINER Hazen Babcock <hbabc...@mac.com>

# Update sources
RUN apt update

# Get dependencies, these are in alphabetical order
RUN apt --yes install camlidl
RUN apt --yes install cmake
RUN apt --yes install gcc
#RUN apt --yes install gdc
RUN apt --yes install gfortran
RUN apt --yes install git
#RUN apt --yes install gnat
RUN apt --yes install g++
#RUN apt --yes install default-jdk
#RUN apt --yes install default-jre
#RUN apt --yes install itcl3
#RUN apt --yes install itcl3-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libcairo-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libgtk2.0-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libhpdf-dev
#RUN apt --yes install liblasi-dev
#RUN apt --yes install liblua5.2-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libpango1.0-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libqhull-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libshp-dev
#RUN apt --yes install libxml-dom-perl
#RUN apt --yes install libxml-parser-perl
#RUN apt --yes install libwxgtk3.0-dev
#RUN apt --yes install lua5.2
RUN apt --yes install ocaml
#RUN apt --yes install octave
#RUN apt --yes install pdl
#RUN apt --yes install python-dev
#RUN apt --yes install python-numpy
#RUN apt --yes install python-qt4
#RUN apt --yes install python-qt4-dev
#RUN apt --yes install sip-dev
#RUN apt --yes install swig

# Get PLplot, configure, build and test.
RUN cd tmp && git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/plplot/plplot plplot
RUN cd tmp && mkdir plplot-build
RUN cd tmp/plplot-build && cmake ../plplot -DBUILD_TEST=ON -DENABLE_tk=OFF
RUN cd tmp/plplot-build && make
RUN cd tmp/plplot-build && ctest --verbose