Hi Alan,

On 18.07.2017 20:45, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> To Ole and Orion:
>
> Here is what I suggest you do to decide whether you want to package
> the Octave bindings of PLplot until this UTF-8 error is fixed.  The
> octave examples that are run in our tests are controlled by
> plplot_test/test_octave.sh.in. That file has the "p" list and
> standard list of examples.
> There is nothing but ascii strings in the "p" examples
> so leave that list as is.  Of the standard examples, 18, 24, 26,
> and 33 are the ones that use UTF-8 strings (I derived that list by running
>
> grep utf-8 examples/python/x??.py
>
> .)
>
> So to create a pure ascii test of Octave you should exclude
> those examples from the standard examples list.
>
> Then build the test_diff_psc target, and make your packaging decision
> based on the results of that pure-ascii test of octave.
>
> By the way, please run that test verbosely, e.g.,
>
> make VERBOSE=1 test_diff_psc >& test_diff_psc.out
>
> and if that output file still shows some errors for the pure ascii
> Octave test case, please send it to me.

All is fine for me after disabling [1] the mentioned tests. Since UTF-8
is one one case, I will keep the octave bindings in the 5.13.0 packaging.

One more small issue, which I reported some time ago to the Debian
package [2]: The pkgconfig file specifies the need to link to libshp:

$ pkg-config --libs plplotd
-lplplotd -lltdl -lm -lshp -lcsirocsa -lcsironn -lqhull -lqsastime

but in fact, -lshp is not needed. It would be nice if this linker flag
could be removed here.
(and, just to be sure: at that time, the library was called
"libplotlibd", while now it is "libplotlib" without the "d", right?)

Best regards

Ole

[1]
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/plplot.git/tree/debian/patches/Disable-octave-UTF-8-tests.patch