> On Jan 14, 2018, at 4:30 PM, Greg Jung <gvj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>   I've looked at the wingdi I was earlier working with, and the
> commoncontrols initialization was commented out
> for the #ifdef _WIN64 case.  I'm unsure whether I tested with w64, I think
> so.  But in the current attempt, I
> was definitely confined to a 32-bit system - it may be the case that this
> function is unavailable.
>
> in module wingdi_modul_initialize( void ) :
> #ifdef _WIN64
>
>       // Initialize common controls
>       init_controls.dwSize = sizeof(INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX);
>       init_controls.dwICC = ICC_BAR_CLASSES;
>       if( ! InitCommonControlsEx( &init_controls ) )
>       {
>               plwarn( "wingdi:  Failed to initialize common Window
> controls\n" );
>       }
> #endif

The InitCommonControlsEx is available in both WIN32 and WIN64.  When I was
looking at how to patch, the minimum supported version is Windows Vista and it
is also available in Wine.  I guess the main question is what is the minimum
version of Windows that we want to support in Plplot.  I would say Windows
Vista is the minimum because it is becoming more of a challenge to keep
supporting XP (particularly when I need to test).  If I had a preference, I
would draw the line at Windows 7 and 10 with Windows 8 being unsupported.

I am not sure why your cmake failed, because it should have worked.

>   Also to mention, it would be a great convenience if HWND - plot and HDC -
> hdc were again placed at the top of
> the wingdi_Dev struct.   As such, the replacement of wingcc with wingdi is
> already accommodated in GDL as a compile-time macro.
> // Device-specific info per stream
> struct wingdi_Dev
> {
>       //
>     // WIN32 API variables
>     //
>       HWND                      plot;       // Handle for the plot area
>       HDC               hdc;        // Plot window device context
>       HPEN              pen;        // Current pen used for drawing
>       …

That seems reasonable.  No real reason why I put them down lower other than a
desire to put some common members at the top.