On 2020-05-21 10:01+0100 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 09:28:10PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
With the update from ocaml 1.05 to 1.08 plplot now fails to build:

4.05 -> 4.08 ?

Hi Richard:

Your messages are being rejected by the list for obvious reasons (no
subscription),
but I do have access to them as list coordinator so I will answer (with
a copy to the list).

No, the above problem in version numbers was because Orion misidentified
the package which is camlidl and not ocaml.
[...]
Nothing has changed significantly under bindings/ocaml/ for a long
time, so I don't know why specifically it works from git and not from
the Fedora build.  Maybe one of the huge number of cmake flags?

The issue was with the camlidl command.  But according to Debian
packaging information that application depends on the ocaml-nox
package that "contains everything needed to develop OCaml applications".
Also, I have the following result:

irwin@merlin> file /usr/bin/camlidl /usr/bin/camlidl: a /usr/bin/ocamlrun script executable (binary data)

And ocamlrun is the OCaml byte-code interpreter.

So from your further result that everything works fine for the latest
git version of ocaml (where I assume you are still using the same
pre-release version of camlidl), it appears the issue is caused
(indirectly) by some Fedora inconsistency between their packaged
pre-released versions of camlidl and ocaml.

Anyhow, it appears the issue does not have a lot to do with PLplot (except as a
platform
that exposes the issue).  So good luck solving it, and let me know how you
progress.

Research affiliation with the Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada.

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project