On 2021-10-30 07:26+0200 Rafael Laboissière wrote:

Yes, [-DENABLE_pyqt5=OFF] is the simplest way to get the package building without issues. However, from the point of view of the Debian distribution, this means that python3-plplot-qt should be dropped from the list of binary packages built from the plplot source package. This change that we have to tweak the package and, then, once uploaded, it will have to go through the NEW queue [*], in order to get the approval of the ftp-masters. Finally, when the PyQt/SIP issues will be fixed in the future, then we will have to tweak back the changes, reintroduce python3-plplot-qt and the package will have to got through the NEW queue again.

I would rather prefer to wait until the issue is fixed upstream. There is no rush for that, because the next release of Debian stable will not happen any soon (the latest release was done this year and the Debian release life cycle is two years).

To Rafael and António:

@Rafael:
It sounds like your "wait and see" strategy (instead of changing the
package and putting it through the NEW queue potentially twice) is the
right way to go.

@both:

I am not happy with how riverbankcomputing keeps breaking things for
sip users with no explicit documentation of the breakage (as far as
I could tell with my google searches, see yesterday's post).

@António: If you prefer not to fix this season's breakage with the prospect of
having to do it again every few years, then I would strongly lean
toward removing our pyqt binding and example completely just to make
our upstream life (and downstream packaging life) easier.

Cheers,

Research affiliation with the Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada.

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project