From: Alan W. Irwin <alan.w.irwin1...@gmail.com>
Sent: 23 February 2022 21:50
To: Arjen Markus <arjen.mar...@deltares.nl>
Cc: PLplot development list <plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Plplot-devel] Cross-compilation of PLplot

On 2022-02-23 07:23-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Ehlert asked me about cross-compilation of PLplot for different
> platforms as part of cond-forge/plplot-feedstock. He found out that this
> needs to be done in two steps, one to build the auxiliary programs for use on
> the native platform and the second for the actual cross-compilation. Does
> anyone have experience with this? What procedure would you recommend? Is
> there an easy way to make this build scenario easier?

Hi Arjen:

Andrew Ross got cross-compilation to work (with some limitations) back in 2009.
 I suggest if you haven't done so already you review that mailing list thread
(which you can find with a subject line search for "cross compilation" in the
plplot_devel mailing list archive at SF).

Andrew commented in that thread that he had documented some of his
cross-compilation experiences in our old wiki.  All the contents of that old
wiki were transferred to our SF wiki back when I established that SF wiki so
his (dated) documentation/comments about cross-compilation should be accessible
at our SF wiki.  Indeed, if you search there, there are 7 wiki pages that
mention "cross" so if you follow up on those hits (which I did not) I assume
you will find what Andrew (and others?) wrote about cross compilation back in
2009 or so.

Of course, if you make some modern progress with cross-compilation, please
update the SF wiki accordingly following the wiki update procedure in
README.developers.

Cheers,

Research affiliation with the Department of Physics and Astronomy, University
of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada.

Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state implementation for
stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time Ephemerides project
(timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting software package (plplot.org);
the libLASi project (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project
(loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.