Stephan, perhaps you can help then.  I have never had an easy time getting plplot to build and install with VS in my environment and right now my current build/install crashes when I close any app that uses plplot.  I do not know why.  But there is another reason and that is that my dell tower is not on-line and VS requires monthly renewal of the license for their Express or Community editions of the VS IDE.  I may still be able to use the compilers but hadn't considered that.