On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Jewett, Jim J wrote:
> Am I understanding this correctly?  In order to jump to
> #section5 which is 87% of the way through a document,
> you first have to pretend you're rendering every single
> line above it, to until the YOffset finally matches.

The old code did that when seeking afer a search.  When it did that,
however, it was doing a lot more than matching the YOffsets--it was doing
line-breaking, etc.  So the 32-bit matching was a small part of the whole.
I am not sure if there is any part of the code now that uses the slow
method.  Going to a search result now skips over paragraphs that are
before the result found.

> Does this apply to go-to-bottom as well?  If so, I'm pretty
> sure that *my* page-opening time is dominated by
> uncompression, because jump-to-bottom isn't all that
> slow.  (Or does half-page down also recalc from the top?)

Go-to-botton doesn't work that way, I think.  Nonetheless, when a screen
is redrawn, the whole of the first visible paragraph is drawn, even the
invisible bits, and the whol of the last visible paragraph is also drawn,
again even the invisible bits.

> (and in another message)
> > duplication of effort between WriteLine() and GetLineMetrics().  Under
> > POSE/NR70 it speeds up my benchmark page from 26 sec to 10 sec.  On my
> > NX70, it sped up the same page from 4.8 to 3.1 seconds.
>
> Do you have any idea why it would help so much more on POSE?  (60% vs 30%)

My guess (and I'd need data for someone with a 68K) is that the POSE
performance is indicative of 68K performance.  Why should it make less of
a difference on the ARM?  I don't know.  One thought I have is that on the
ARM, the OS calls will be a lot faster as they'll be executing natively,
while the rest of the code is running in PACE, but I am not sure why the
effect would be non-uniform.  Another thought is that the ARM is fast
enough here that something else is dominating.

Alex

--
Dr. Alexander R. Pruss  || e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Philosophy Department   || online papers and home page: