I originally posted a question on the users mailing list, but now that I've dug
deeper, it's perhaps more of a developers topic.

I was having a problem getting Plucker Desktop (v1.6.2.0) to access web URLs on
the Intranet at work.  I was getting an "Access Denied" page.  However, it
works fine at home.

Plucker Desktop uses the Python parser.  So I did some digging, and added a few
debug and header prints to Retriever.py and ran it as a script trying again to
access a URL on the Intranet.  The added headers (added in Retriever.py)
included "User-agent" and "Accept" (note that no proxy header was added, and
that I do not have environment variables starting in "HTTP_PROXY").  I'm not
sure what other headers may have been added by the URLOpener in urllib.
Response headers included all the usual as well as "proxy-authenticate" and
"proxy-connection".  This made me think it was still trying to authenticate
with the proxy.

So I figured out that I needed to include proxy information despite only
accessing pages on the Intranet.  Furthermore, turns out I needed to have the
"http://"; on the front of the proxy name, which I didn't realize at first, and
caused my debugging work to take longer.

This leaves me with a couple of potential developer questions/issues.

1)  Why is it trying to authenticate with the proxy when I am only accessing
pages on the Intranet?  Should it be?

2)  As a convenience to users, why not tack on "http://"; to the front of the
proxy name if it's missing?  Other programs, such as browsers, do not require
this.

I would have liked to have seen all the headers on the request, but I'm not
sure how to do that.  I'm an app developer, not a network guru, and I have no
experience in Python either, other than what I've learned while debugging my
problem.

Signup at www.doteasy.com