On Mon, May 01, 2006, Eugene Y. Vasserman wrote:

> I don't know if I've made myself clear - the list would still have every
> document in it, but it's already sorted by whatever sort function is
> being used. Then build the indexList from the already sorted linked list

Now, I'm confused. If the linked list is sorted then what would the
index list be used for? As soon as it is included the re-sort problem
will be there again...

> - - linked lists are easier to *keep* sorted than to sort every time you
> update the indexList. Does that make more sense?

No. The linked list has never been sorted every time the index list
is updated; the linked list has never been sorted at all ;-) If you
are to get any benefits from keeping the list sorted it must be
re-sorted when the settings are changed (i.e. any operation that
would update the index list with the current implementation).

Anyway, in my quick hack to libraryform.c I removed the index list
completely. The linked list is sorted in a way that puts all the
"not-to-be-displayed" documents at the end of the list. The used
sorting algorithm is a very simple (but bad) one. Still, the hack
is more a proof-of-concept than a ready for use solution, i.e. now
I know that it is possible to remove the index list without too much
trouble...

I'll send you the updated libraryform.c file in a separate mail. Feel
free to fix the algorithm or rewrite it completely. I will not be
able to do any serious work on this before the weekend.

/Mike