Tried that...2,4,8,16 give no image. bpp of 1 gives the black images. I think I need to compile the source rather than the rpm package. How would I run the python scripts in the source? It needs a readme file.

Are you sure your ~/.pluckerrc is pointing to the right path and location of the palmgrayXx.map files? Here's what it should look like:

[POSIX]
palm1bit_graymap_file     = /usr/share/netpbm/palmgray1.map
palm2bit_graymap_file     = /usr/share/netpbm/palmgray2.map
palm4bit_graymap_file     = /usr/share/netpbm/palmgray4.map
palm8bit_stdcolormap_file = /usr/share/netpbm/palmcolor8.map
...and so on.

David A. Desrosiers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://gnu-designs.com