I haven't looked to see if the bootloader is unlockable on the chromebooks, but otherwise if so, it's really not typically "risky". I've been romming/unlocking phones since winmo3/pre/early androids and never bricked a device that wasn't recoverable via a factory recovery means. Samsung is decent about providing unlock capability, so I would expect it is or will be unlockable by end-users as most of their modern devices are.

Finding a rom that works on it, maybe not so much. Canonical ported an ubuntu to the nexus7, and later the gnex as ubuntu phone, but it's a matter of getting the system working with still somewhat irregular hardware quirks in each, including x with capable drivers for direct render hardware acceleration and multitouch. Native ubuntu on arm phone-ish devices is still a WIP.

More easily you can usually get ubuntu to run externally atop the android kernel, and there's an app to guide you through setting it up in SD on play for ubuntu 10.04, 12.04, or backtrack5. I had 12.04 on my gnex for a bit, and would vnc to the desktop for use. A bit kludgy, but gave me some decent usability aside from unity itself being a pig and slowing the entire phone down. LXDE is a much better route I'd heard, but never got to try.

I'm trying to find some time to set up ubuntu over android on my transformer prime infinity with the keyboard dock to see how my mileage is with it, but hit some quirks of cyanogenmod 10.1 on it.

-mb