BEst practices rely on the use of SU and Sudo/SUdoers to perform any of the
elevated tasks. This prevents any unrecognized code from getting away from
you. this includes root not being able to log in under most circumstances
and especially via ssh. This is what i would stick with, there is likely a
very large plethora of online reading on the subject.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Michael Havens <bmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now they say: (section 5.36)
>   Note
>   The commands in the remainder of this book must be performed while
>   logged in as user root and no longer as user lfs.
>
> The problem is that I do not know how they want me to become root (or if
> it matters). To become root I can either 'su' or 'exit' my current shell to
> the previous one. So what do you recommend? Does it matter?

Stephen