On 2014-08-18 00:20, James Dugger wrote:
Shouldn't the IP address come first?

    192.168.xx.xx    domain.dev

Yes,  I realized that just after psoting.

Also do you have this in the /etc/hosts files of both boxes?

just the client box.

 On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM, <techli...@phpcoderusa.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am running Mint 17 KDE.  I have another box configured as a LAMP
server with each domain having a TLD of dev. I usually add a line
for each of he vhosts into the /etc/hosts file and it has worked for
years.  Yesterday I moved from Kubuntu to Mint and now that is not
working.

I added a line domain.dev 192.168.xx.xx into the /etc/hosts file
for several dev domains and I cannot reach them in the browser so I
tried to ping them with ping domain.dev and that failed.  I can
ping the LAMP dev box with it's IP.

I have used the hosts file in this way for maybe 7 years in both
Win and Linux without an issue until now.

A search of Google shows others have had the same issue.  I was
unable to find a solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
Keith