Sure, a bad power supply will not only affect the fans but it can affect everything in the computer!

What do you think? The power supply failed because it got too hot because the cooling fan did not do it's job? Maybe. But you won't be able to diagnose the fan or other failures until you determine the status of the power supply. Considering that you have seen multiple symptoms, it could point to either the power supply or the motherboard. The easiest way I can think of to diagnose the power supply is to trade power supplies with a duplicate quad system quad and see if the symptoms move to the duplicate quad system. If not, then the motherboard becomes suspect.

I'm saying duplicate quad because quads draw the most power and the failure should be obvious on the duplicate. Otherwise if the symptoms did not show up on either system, then the diagnosis would be in doubt because it could be a power supply cable or connector and the exchange fixed the problem, possibly only temporarily (time will tell).

On the other hand, if you just buy a duplicate (make sure it's for a quad) power supply and exchange the supplies, you won't be sure that the old power supply was bad or that you just fixed a cable problem - assuming you haven't ruled out the cable/connector at fault.

I've seen power supplies on ebay for about $100 in the past but make sure the dealer is reputable whatever you pay - if you go that way.

There's a fellow in Florida who repairs motherboards for PC's for $169 but I don't know if he does Mac motherboards and you have to pay postage to ship the board to him. (Pack it well and insure it!)

If you replace the power supply and still have the symptoms, then can you return the extra power supply?

Anyway, if you can boot and run, try the Apple hardware diagnostics if you have the DVD. Or if you have a copy of Tech Tool (Pro) try to boot that. It takes a while to boot because it does so with it's own system without violating Apple's copyrights, etc. I know Tech Tool Pro is stand alone and tests all the hardware because I use it. Since my Mac G5 is down, I don't know if it tests the power supply, but it should.

Jon