I am one of the people you talk about in this thread, but I used the rules
on my side.

Most cities (Phoenix), the pad does not matter.

Any free standing building more then 6 feet from property line and any
other structure that is under 100 sq feet roof does not need a permit.
Each city is different and you would need to check codes for your city.

If they build below fence line, HOA does not have a say.

So maybe you should talk with your neighbor and ask what he is making.  It
could just be a pad for patio set.

Richard