I call this thread dead.

My apologies to the list.

I had not idea this would turn out like this.

On 2018-06-13 14:23, David Schwartz wrote:

> How can this NOT be a political topic?
>
> It's about jobs. Jobs that are being replaced by automation. At companies who
> are really only interested in PROFITS, not the quality of life of their
> employees or what costs they dump on the community as a result of
> under-paying workers or laying them off. They just don't care. They answer to
> their shareholders -- a growing percentage of whom are foreigners -- not the
> communities where they set up shop and employ their workers.
>
> Profits are mostly a function of the economy and current political winds.
>
> It makes no sense to talk about jobs -- current or future -- when you're
> swimming in a job pool that's being flushed down the drain by the very people
> who you elected to keep your job intact!
>
> Our POLITICIANS just handed the 100 largest corporations (their shareholders)
> and the wealthiest families in America a $500 billion "gift" that they SAID
> was going to be used to "create jobs."
>
> Yet all that windfall has been used for so far has been stock buy-backs, and
> lay-offs preceeding the movement of these same jobs to countries with lower
> labor costs, since now that they've got all the money they need to afford
> huge capital investments off-shore without pissing off their shareholders.
>
> If you're not part of that tiny sliver of the US population (income or net
> asset holdings of 7-figures or more), your elected officials are not
> representing YOUR current or future needs. (I'm not!)
>
> Shareholders don't give a crap about WHERE the companies they own employ
> people, or where those employees come from! They only care about profits,
> share price, and dividends. Corporations have a fidicuary responsibility to
> their shareholders. PERIOD. Not even their employees. Which is why
> corporations are resisting efforts to reform or immigration laws -- the
> current immigraion laws are working very well for them and are HIGHLY
> PROFITABLE!
>
> SHAREHOLDERS want automation. Why? Because MORE PROFITS. And a reduced need
> to worry about employees of all stripes and colors.
>
> And who cares what CitiGroup says anyway? They've just been given $50 billion
> in tax cuts; fines levied against them for breaking the law have been
> dropped; regulations supposedly costing them profits (because they're
> designed to protect consumers) have been eliminated; and they just reported
> their most profitable quarter in history! Yet lots of folks seem to feel
> sorry for them for whatever reason while their customers and employees are
> getting screwed.
>
> What I don't understand is why anybody who's not a shareholder in any of
> these corporations is defending them or the latest tax policies handing their
> shareholders HUGE stock growth and dividends.
>
> The Fed just announced an uptick in interest rates this morning, with two
> more expected by the end of the year. Because they say inflation is on the
> rise. This hits EVERYBODY in the pocketbook, not just the wealthy.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1]
https://u2206659.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=5DvWGaZUY8Sh5aRLWfQTKYiRLVzunonVk948p8WIzMe-2FXlJ9Cta8w8U9xoku9LrUSHNMJbSd3ZEwH-2BqnW2UHlA-3D-3D_6lpMB7VLnN-2Fj9-2FEErg8-2F-2BMBpb5QxlByTgv2M3fbWD9ebvC-2BWrN3h7jImK8EVWYBeCvvS2GRjSTBV-2FJq6SE1a4L3QHEOruArXMuj5uuhxYFnbMsLRwMZouBGGrV9QJ8pYAHPiX9yC6Pw8A-2FbEJ2E5FQcdgz302cTz28PjMpJ-2FphPaCf5OJ4cmeQ99U9W-2FdlGy5sK-2B8vJ1Ec1X5jaimYEvDxcFqgdmT2y8cOVkhgrkIFg-3D