I just checked, and my poppler-utils has pdftotext at /usr/bin/pdftotext
You can check where yours is by running:
dpkg -L poppler-utils |grep -i pdftotext
If you still can't find it, you may want to reinstalled you poppler-utils package to see if you can get it to show up.
apt install --reinstall poppler-utils

Any PDF to TXT utility should be as good as another.

Brian Cluff