On 2022-01-07 17:57, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
With the whole transition to libera.chat for irc and taking some time
off from work, I've taken to hanging out there a bit, and this is a
common thing I'm seeing in the #networking chat.  I'm seeing a lot of
devs showing up in #networking asking for hosting/sysadmin stuff lots,
ala "how to make apache do x", or "how do I automate my servers",

Seems asking "how to make apache do x" is more of an Apache config question. Not a straight up programming skill per se.... and not programming either?

what kind of "how do I automate my servers" are you seeing. I am a PHP developer so hosting automation is of interest to me. I assume Pleask and ISPConfig fall into the server automation group as I would think cPanel does as well?

which I find weird as that's sysadmin stuff normally (to me).  Oddly
enough it's a pretty diverse crowd of folks that are kinda hybrids,
done networking, done sysadmin, some are php/web devs, etc, but lots
of system-centric stuff so it tends to work out for info seekers.  I
suspect if I went into #sysadmin or like, they'd know nothing of
networking, but #networking tends to come from diverse enough roots
they do this stuff too, or did at one point at least.

I'm wondering if the self-taught group may spend less time learning about networking. I've been interested in Linux since around 1997 / RedHat 4.2 or was it 5.2. And networking was of interest to me especially in the 80's as it was emerging.

Moral is, there's a lot of crossover these days, and folks need to
know some dev, some sysadmin, and some networking.  The line blurs,
but people can't just be like "well, I only do mssql or active
directory" anymore, they're replaceable with shell scripts.  I've done
unix/linux, some dev, some dba, some windoze, everything between along
with a strong focus and experience in networking, and it's paid
dividends as I figure out what others don't as a result.

Comparing to the OSI model of networking, I work mostly layer 1-7 up,
but most dev/app/sysadmins work layer 7 down, and really have no idea
below around layer 5 or so, much to their detriment.  Best these days
to be well versed across the board to some extent.  Take a ccna class
online, even if you don't get the cert, you'll probably understand
things a lot more to make your life easier.

I'm curious about what a developer might want to automate on a LAMP hosting server?

I've use command line PHP to create a script to backup my hosting website and data ... AWS S3. I think I might have added something to cron... maybe it was that backup script.

What else might I want to automate?

-mb

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 5:11 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss