okay.... got it all taken care of. my issue was that I had photos on an
ext3 file system and I needed windows to read it. I took care of it by
booting into a live disk, formatting a stick to a msdos filesystem, copying
the needed pictures onto the stick, chmod 777 these files, and all is good
now!

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 5:07 AM Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> I need linux (and ORCA screen reader). Sure, macports (the unix and linux
>> like ports software library) can be useful without having to deal with a
>> VM, but X desktops aren’t accessible with the built in screen reader and
>> ORCA is not in the macports library. :( So, even though I am stuck on a
>> 2012 Mac mini (and I don’t have the funds for upgrading), I can still use
>> most of the latest available (and accessible) X desktop items and ORCA from
>> inside the VM (including latest LTS versions of Ubuntu) It also means I
>> don’t need to create a bootcamp partition for the other OS, although that
>> can sometimes be more useful than a VM.
>>
>> As for windows, too much is hit and miss on that platform accessibility
>> wise for me to use it reliably. Sure, the NVDA screen reader is open
>> source, but doesn’t work with everything and JAWS costs about $100 a year
>> for a license and also doesn’t work with everything. That is basically why
>> I avoid windows unless I have no other choice.
>>
>> The only issue I have with apple products is that the EFI has no
>> accessibility whatsoever (in fact, none of the available hardware anywhere
>> on the market for computing has accessibility on the EFI). So, if I want to
>> convert my old Mac mini into a dedicated linux machine, I would have to
>> have sighted assistance to do so (a non starter here). And yes, I have even
>> proposed to the EFI consortium the use of BrlTTY in the EFI as an
>> accessibility option (it is, after all, an embedded linux). Yet, I see no
>> response from them at all and I have tried every year since 2010. Guess we
>> blind computer techs don’t mean squat unless we can bring a lot of money to
>> the table. Now, if I knew the full in’s and out’s of how the EFI is
>> installed, configured and compiled, then it wouldn’t be hard to create my
>> own version with a built-in braille and speech interface. That would
>> provide a Fiat Accompli to the industry in general and allow many more like
>> me into the full IT fields without having to demand more reasonable
>> accommodations. Ah well, I have diverged from the original subject a bit,
>> but it is, at least, minimally related to this thread.
>>
>> Anyway, since windows support for Unix services is a bit proprietary, why
>> not just go with a VM and call it good?
>>
>> -Eric
>> From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Engineering and
>> Development Dept.
>>

>> On May 21, 2024, at 11:18 AM, Michael via PLUG-discuss <
>> plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> well, I'm stuck in a world of windows now. but I gots to use linux so I'm
>> doing wsl. How do I get gui to work: I ran apt update/upgrade/xinit but it
>> responds with:
>>
>> _XSERVTansmkdir: Mode....X11-unix should.... 1777
>> _XSERVTransCreateListener: failed...
>> _XSERVTransUNIX...:failed
>> _XSERVTransMakeALL... failed...
>> etc....
>>
>> So could someone help me get x going until I can get a beloved linux box

  • wsl Michael via PLUG-discuss
    • Re: wsl Patrick Callahan via PLUG-discuss
    • Re: wsl Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
      • Re: wsl Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
      • Re: wsl Michael via PLUG-discuss
        • Re: wsl Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
          • Re: wsl Snyder, Alexander J via PLUG-discuss
            • Re: wsl Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss