Top-posting 'cuz you did...

I was very happy with KDE. Everything tied together, and it all felt
very integrated. But then I sort of got bored of it.

Such tight integration can get to be suffocating. And it just feels
weird when you start to use apps that don't quite fit in, like
Thunderbird instead of K-Mail, so there's a hole in the fabric. One spot
where everything doesn't quite line up...

I dropped KDE for icewm. Quite happy with it. It's enough but not too
much. Cool themes too.