On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Im not sure I get this one, so this socially well adjusted and kinda
> attractive person got famous by using the thing made by the geek?

The meme is playing out in parts of social computing space over the
last couple days and I figured the RMS reference might resonate here
:-).  Alot more context on the thread can be found here:
http://www.marco.org/106882951
... and the above is a direct response to this campaign:
http://geekadvancement.com/

> perhaps this stands as a reason open source doesn't work, because RMS
> should be charging the socially well adjusted and kinda attractive
> person big bucks to use the software they don't have time to make
> (because they have a 'social life' aka does things that are fun).
> then the socially well adjusted and kinda attractive person will marry
> him and clean him out in a divorce. :)
>  -jmz

The block directly above reminded me of part of the storyline in the
"Revolution OS" documentary -- I believe it was intended as a
documentary though it seemed to downplay, if not ridicule, an
important cornerstone of the movement.  In other words, I think (IMHO)
that RMS got screwed in the version of the history behind FSF and OSS
similar to what's played out in jmz's block above...  Decent film
overall for the behind the scenes stories from the people involved but
I didn't appreciate the digs on RMS and his philosophy and practice.
http://www.revolution-os.com/

ymmv,
C.G.

--