all the ports on a cable box are essentially "dead" from the factory
and only there because "some" vendors actually use them for things.
but most do not.

your best bet is something like a TV encoder that is Linux friendly to
take the data in.

I have only found one HDMI input card but it is windows/mac only so far...
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

also i know they are beefing up their Linux support and suggest you
can get video in on this, but it seems sketchy
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-avivo-hd/Pages/ati-avivo-hd.aspx

Also id suggest looking at: http://linuxmce.com/ as well lots of info there.

and i found this does digital tv in, but not sure if its HD at all or
able to support linux:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=KpmZDwmGTdvYBVHr&templete=2

However if you break down to Composite input for HD/Digital the options expand

Interestingly enough for only about 300 you can get a huge array of inputs:
http://www.decklink.com/products/decklink/

and it even has Linux support

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Joe<j...@nationnet.com> wrote:
> Is anyone recording HD from their Cox digital converter box? If so, what
> hardware works for you. I can record the un-encrypted channels, but I
> would like to records from the converter box since there are more HD
> channels there. Also friends keep asking me if Myth will work with
> DirectTV and I think it would be the same setup. I tried the firewire
> port, but I cannot get any data from it.

Stephen