I am running Debian testing on my laptop. Just completed a routine apt-get
update apt-get upgrade, and now all my desktop icons are gone and every time
I access the menus (Applications, Places, System) the upper and lower menu
bars disappear and then come back. I am writing this email in a browser
window, so once an application is launched it seems to work OK.

I have no idea where to start debugging this problem. Any suggestions are
welcome!

Mark

P.S. I am running gnome, not KDE. Also, I cannot right click on the desktop
- nothing happens.